Photo: Tom Hilton, CC BY 2.0
Since this week has been full of news that removes my ability to even, this week you don’t so much get an article as you get a list of Things That Shouldn’t Be Things. Aka, things I didn’t think I’d have to be freaking saying in 2017. So have fun.
1. John McCain did not single-handedly save healthcare.
2. Transgender individuals deserve the chance to serve in the military, and are neither a distraction nor a drain on military medical resources. http://theslot.jezebel.com/citing-nonexistent-extra-costs-trump-announces-ban-on-1797264254
3. Natural hair is not “impractical” for a comic book assassin, and having an afro won’t diminish Domino’s ability to be an extreme badass in Deadpool 2.
4. Women who work in comics shouldn’t get harassed for tweeting selfies of themselves and their female coworkers.
5. There’s no such thing as an “alpha male.”
6. Rapists shouldn’t get to sue for defamation when their victims accuse them of rape.
7. The show Confederate should never see the light of day.
8. You shouldn’t skip all the parts of Jessica Jones that don’t have Luke Cage in them. (Seriously, Cracked readers? Seriously? Jessica Jones is the best one.)
9. Discriminating against someone due to their sexuality is still discrimination.
10. Police officers should not use excessive force.
11. Affirmative action is not racist against white people.
12. And last but certainly far from least: trans women are not “tricking” their partners by dating them. Trans women should not be the butt of jokes. Trans women (and I cannot believe I am having to say this) do not deserve to be raped, stolen from, or murdered for being trans. Jfc people.
So that’s the current state of affairs for Things That Shouldn’t Be Things. Also why we can’t have nice things. Sorry everyone.
Elle Irise is a regular contributor to This Week In Tomorrow. When she’s not nope-ing out at all the nope-able things, she studies gender in popular culture.
Thanks for reading! Except for the very *very* occasional tip (we take Venmo now!), we only get paid in our own (and your) enthusiasm, so please like This Week In Tomorrow on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @TWITomorrow, and tell your friends about the site!
If you like our posts and want to support our site, please share them with others, on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit — anywhere you think people might want to read what we’ve written. Plus, if there’s something you think we’ve missed or a story you’d like to see covered, drop us a line! Thanks so much for reading, and have a great week.